It’s summertime in Roanoke, VA which means you’ll likely be enjoying backyard BBQs, time at the pool, and other outdoor activities. Summer is a fantastic time to get outside and enjoy the warm weather and natural beauty the Blue Ridge has to offer.
On the other hand, more time outdoors can mean less time to devote to indoor maintenance. During the warmer months, you may notice that extra critters have made themselves at home in your kitchen, bedrooms and living areas. If that sounds like you, we’ve rounded up 5 simple tips to keep your home pest free this summer.
Common Pest Problems in Roanoke, VA
The beautiful Roanoke Valley is nestled in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia and enjoys access to a rich, natural environment. During the summers, we experience a humid, subtropical climate that encourages abundant growth. That’s great news for gardeners, but not so great for homeowners looking to ward off pests like mosquitoes, termites, ants, and cockroaches.
Our proximity to wooded areas means lots of opportunities for hiking, biking, and kayaking. But it also means increased potential for encounters with ticks, fleas, and rodents who may seek shelter or food sources in homes and businesses.
If you’re wondering how to enjoy Roanoke’s natural beauty this summer while keeping the great outdoors outside, you’re not alone. Luckily, prevention is simple and it’s likely you’re already following many best practices!
5 Tips for Preventing Pests This Summer
You know the saying that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and it couldn’t be truer than when talking about unwanted pests. Dealing with an infestation is stressful and time-consuming, but prevention can be accomplished right along with your regular chores. Here are our top tips to keep your home pest free this summer.
- Remove Standing Water: Discourage mosquitoes and other bothersome critters by saying goodbye to standing water! Make it a habit to regularly empty and clean outdoor containers like birdbaths, flowerpots, and gutters. Be sure to keep those drainage areas in good shape to prevent puddles too.
- Seal Entry Points: Show your home some extra care by sealing up any gaps or cracks that critters might use as secret entryways. Seal any gaps with weatherstripping, caulk, or other appropriate materials to prevent pests from gaining access to your home. Trust us, your home will appreciate the TLC!
- Maintain Landscaping: Keep your outdoor spaces as inviting as possible while keeping pests at bay. Trim back trees, bushes, and shrubs away from your home’s exterior to reduce the potential entry points for pests. Keep the grass mowed and remove any piles of leaves or debris in your yard that can provide shelter for pests. It’s all about creating a friendly environment for you and your non-pest guests!
- Store Food Properly: Keep your food stored in tightly sealed containers to deter ants, roaches, and other pests. Regularly clean your kitchen, including countertops, floors, and cabinets, to remove food residue and crumbs that can attract pests.
- Install Window Screens: Keep the fresh summer breeze flowing through your home while keeping the bugs at bay with window screens. This will help prevent flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects from entering your home while still allowing fresh air to circulate.
Contact Bug Man to Keep Your Home Pest-Free this Summer
Maybe you’d rather be focused on enjoying the warm weather with your loved ones instead of warding off unwanted guests in your home. If that sounds like you, we can’t say we blame you. And we’re here to help! We can help keep pests away year-round with our cost-effective Four Seasons Pest Control Program.