You’ve seen the telltale black pellets in your basement or cupboards. Maybe you’ve even seen a small, furry body flash across the room. Now you find yourself googling “How to Get Rid of Mice.” Luckily, you’ve come to the right place. Learning how to get rid of mice is easy and as Roanoke’s trusted exterminating experts, we’re here to guide you through the process.
How to Completely Get Rid of Mice
Signs of a rodent infestation are simple to spot. If you notice mouse droppings, scratching and squeaking in the walls, or crumbs in odd places, you have mice in your house. Once you realize there are mice in your home, it’s important to take immediate action. Mice can carry serious diseases that will infect your family and pets. The basic steps of getting rid of mice are to remove their access to food and shelter: seal up any food containers and inspect your home for cracks and holes.
Why Are Mice in My House?
Mice, like any mammal, need food and shelter. You keep a nice, warm, and inviting home. Unfortunately, mice typically take notice. Mice enter homes looking for a safe, warm environment with a food source. But how did they get in there in the first place? Believe it or not, mice only need a dime-sized opening or a ¼-inch crack. These vulnerabilities happen over time and are easy to miss.
Best Ways to Get Rid of Mice
There are various inexpensive and humane methods to get rid of mice. We’ve outlined some of the most effective steps you can take immediately to address a mouse infestation.
- Remove access to food. The first step is to get rid of everything mice like to eat. Store all grains, pet food, and dry goods in airtight, durable containers made of metal, glass, or hard plastic.
- Close entry points. Inspect your home for entry points. Use caulk and weatherstripping to close any holes or cracks in your foundation and seal doors and windows.
- Apply repellant. Mice have a strong sense of smell and are easily repelled by odors. Try spraying a solution of either vinegar or hot peppers or stuffing fabric softener sheets around entry points. These options are safe for children and pets but require monthly reapplication
- Get a cat. Cats are natural predators and will effectively catch and deter the mouse population in your home. You can also try placing used cat litter around entry points, or cotton balls soaked in ammonia.
- Try traps. Traps are the most effective way to get rid of mice. Live traps allow you to capture mice and release them away from your home while classic snap traps kill mice instantly. Avoid glue traps as they are inhumane and poison traps because they are dangerous for pets and children.
How to Keep Mice Out of Your Home
Many of the tips that get rid of mice also keep them from returning. It’s important to seal up any holes and cracks and store food securely. Institute a house rule that all eating happens at the table. Be sure to wipe up all eating and cooking surfaces and vacuum up crumbs that fall to the floor. Never leave pet food out. Remove the food at the end of the day and store it securely.
Contact Bug Man Exterminating
The best way to completely get rid of mice is to call a mouse exterminator. Our professionals have years of experience and quickly assess the scale and severity of your mouse problem. Contact Bug Man Extermination to schedule an inspection and hassle-free estimate to solve your or prevent mice issues.